Smart?
There's this annoying pompous prick in my office and I DESPISE him.
Anyways, did I mention I'm re-taking French with my bro again? Yeah. At least I think I am. Di wants to join in too. How awesome.
Work makes me want to throw up sometimes. Economically, the CEO of this company deserves to be bashed but you know bashing doesn't do any good except for more injuries at the hospital which means some rich doctor will get paid. Sigh.
I'm so lost.
I pity my parents and their strives to make us happy. They work so hard and we just sit there and watch the good ol' telly. I wonder if we ever entertain them. Well at least some of us are doing well. I.e Raz. I on the other hand, well, neither here nor there I'm taking the days one at a time. My sister it seems to me needs constant pushing. If you don't tell her what to do she dreams without actually knowing what really the dream she's dreaming is about.
Enough on my family.
Can anyone tell me why we, office people (specifically girls) have to wear heels to work? Who invented that idea? And why is it that we have to dress smart? Who invented the iron? Why must our clothes look so nicely pressed? I don't know if you guys notice this but I really think there's a major social stratification between the office outfit people and the non-office outfit people. The smartly dressed suit guy with his shiny shoes and sleek hair is bound to get the job whereas the guy with untucked shirt and long hair wearing shorts and flip flops most likely won't get the same job the suit guy applied for. Why is that?
What's up with the human eye? How did we decide that when one dresses smart they have a better chance of getting a job than the other guy who doesn't dress smart? What if I had a Ph.D and came in shorts and went to an interview in a highly sophisticated top notch company? Do you think they'd hire me? Of course not. They'd rather hire the girl with a degree wearing that Gucci suit with sleek hair and some makeup.
I mean, I understand that you shouldn't come to work (or to an interview) looking sloppy but what if you have all the requirements (and more) down to the tee except for the dresscode bit? Who do you think the employer will hire?
It's STILL that other girl I think. You know what? One of these days. When I'm super rich and have everything I want. I'll make sure I come to an interview dressed sloppy. Of course I'll make sure I have fulfilled all the other requirements that the company requests but I'll just come dressed looking like a lazy ass mofo and we shall see what happens. Hehe.
But for now, I should dress smart. Dress smart. What does that mean anyway?
smart
adj 1: showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness [ant: stupid] 2: elegant and stylish; "chic elegance"; "a smart new dress"; "a suit of voguish cut" [syn: chic, voguish] 3: characterized by quickness and ease in learning; "some children are brighter in one subject than another"; "smart children talk earlier than the average" [syn: bright] 4: improperly forward or bold; "don't be fresh with me"; "impertinent of a child to lecture a grownup"; "an impudent boy given to insulting strangers" [syn: fresh, impertinent, impudent, overbold, saucy, sassy] 5: marked by smartness in dress and manners; "a dapper young man"; "a jaunty red hat" [syn: dapper, dashing, jaunty, natty, raffish, rakish, spiffy, snappy, spruce] n : a kind of pain such as that caused by a wound or a burn or a sore [syn: smarting] v : be the source of pain [syn: ache, hurt]
WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
Look at the first meaning. "Showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness."
This is interesting don't you think? I mean, judging by the way this definition is composed it shows that the first and foremost meaning of "smart" means our brain capacities exceed higher than normal expectations.
This brings me to the question of, why does dressing smartly make people automatically think that we ARE smart?
Is it because we know the meaning and therefore relate the word to the idea? But how was it that dressing smart meant "elegant and stylish"? How did that happen? Tell me, what is your definition of dressing smart?
I'm pretty sure it does NOT include having crumpled shirts, skirts or pants, or having hair thats pretty much wired looking, or shoes that have flappy soles right?
But then again, what is ELEGANT AND STYLISH? This could go on forever can it?
Sigh.
The point of my question really, is that how did we humans ever invent all these words and came up with such elaborate meanings? And then use those words to create other meanings at the same time?
It must've take them centuries. And I only analyzed ONE word which has more than one meaning depending on its context. Think about it, if one were to analyze every single word in the english language, DAMN. That's all I can say.
Ciao!
Labels: Thoughts of 2006


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home